​SGA senators seek allocation of funds for Green Dot

India Way, SGA budget and finance committee chair, and Trey Fields, SGA student affairs committee chair, spoke to the senate about a future order of business that is a reserve fund request for the Green Dot program.

The bill read “allocation of $10,000 to health promotion and wellness services for use in the implementation of the green dot bystander intervention program," according to Fields.

Green Dot is looking to train campus members to be active bystanders in the stand against campus interpersonal violence, according to Fields.

Fields also said the first year of Green Dot is more expensive than the years that follow on campus because of the training fees required.

Way broke down the $10,000 request and informed the senate what the funds would specifically be used for.

The $10,000 would go to training, travel, registration, training supplies, public awareness events and office related supplies, according to Way.

The senate also passed the resolution recommending transparency of professional fee expenditures that they discussed last week by Drake Pooley, SGA diversity and multicultural affair chair, and Danielle Guy, SGA nursing senator.

“It’s not asking colleges to lower their fees … it’s just asking them to make the information that’s already there public for students,” Pooley said.

Walker Byrd, SGA president, used his executive announcements time slot to talk about the Auburn Memorial and it’s upcoming promotions.

“I’m going to keep plugging it in,” Byrd said. “You’re about to start seeing a lot more stuff on social media.”

Byrd also discussed how long SGA has worked on the project and why he thinks it’s important to support it.

“It’s a great project and, as you know, we’ve worked on it for the past 8 years in SGA,” Byrd said. “Why would you not give back to the entity that gave you so much?”

Byrd and Pooley also briefly discussed fall break.

“I think fall break comes at a good time for everybody to rest and recharge,” Byrd said.

Pooley agreed and then joked about the SGA initiative.

“If your friends ever say SGA never did anything for them, tell them fall break was an SGA initiative,” Pooley said.

Share and discuss “​SGA senators seek allocation of funds for Green Dot” on social media.