Auburn starting quarterback job still undecided

Auburn’s quarterback competition has not yet been decided, coach Gus Malzahn revealed at a press conference on Monday.

Redshirt freshman Sean White has started the last two games against Mississippi State and San Jose State in relief of Jeremy Johnson, who struggled in Auburn’s first three games. Both quarterbacks are vying for the starting job when the Tigers face Kentucky on Thursday night.

“Sean White has done nothing to lose the job,” Malzahn said. “He’s done a very good job, but we just want the guys to compete, and I really feel like Jeremy’s done a solid job (getting) back in the mix. I think it’s been good for both of them. We’ll make a call on that later in the week.”

Malzahn didn’t dismiss the possibility that the starting quarterback spot could be a game-time decision before Auburn takes on the Wildcats. 

“It could be (a game-time decision), and it could be as early as we get done with this week’s practice,” Malzahn said.

Whether the starting job goes to White or Johnson, Malzahn said it is possible that both quarterbacks will play, potentially at the same time. “(A two-quarterback package) is a possibility,” Malzahn said. “In this off week, we wanted to see how the guys would respond in competition, not just that position, but other positions too, and I think it’s been very healthy for our whole team. That is a possibility as far as packages go.”

White is 1-1 as starting quarterback, going 26-38 for 296 yards and an interception while rushing 15 times for 47 yards. Johnson is 2-1 as starting quarterback this season, going 43-72 for 473 yards, five touchdowns and six interceptions while rushing 21 times for 59 yards and two touchdowns.

Share and discuss “Auburn starting quarterback job still undecided” on social media.