Taylor Wesley speaks after Miss Homecoming win

Taylor Wesley, senior in communications and psychology, was crowned Miss Homecoming 2015 during halftime of the San Jose State game on Saturday, Oct. 3.

During campaign week, Wesley promoted her platform slogan “Spread Wellness with Wesley” following her nomination from SGA for Miss Homecoming.

The senior said winning was not her main concern once the time came for her to take the field.

“When I was waiting on the field, I suddenly wasn’t worried about whose name would be called,” Wesley said. “All of us five candidates had already won in our own way by being able to impact this campus through the messages we were called to give this week.”

Wesley only had nice things to say about her fellow candidates.

“I was so honored to be standing next to four wonderful girls in front of an amazing and supportive student body,” Wesley said.

Wesley was escorted onto the field by her father, Mark, who she said is one of her biggest supporters. 

“He is the one who encouraged me to never give up even when times were tough and to be proud of who I was created to be," Wesley said.

Before they took the field, Wesley gave her father a necklace that was symbolic of her journey with mental illness.

“Right before we walked the field, I gave him my necklace with my sobriety date engraved on it to hold in his pocket, because it was the ultimate celebration of how far he has helped me come,” Wesley said.

Welsey said her reaction to hearing her name announced was the “ultimate shock.” 

“I was surprisingly so humbled at that very moment,” Wesley said. “I looked up at the stadium and I couldn’t help but cry of happiness, because I realized how much support I had received from everyone in those stands.”

She said her biggest support in the campaign came from her campaign manager, the rest of the top five, her sorority sisters and her campaign staff.

This group was the “most important component” to her campaign’s success, because it was just as passionate about her platform as she was, according to Wesley.

Lauren Runnels, junior in media studies, worked on Wesley's campaign staff and said that there were many moments where she felt emotional and saw the impact Wesley was making.

"There were many moments where I would be on the concourse helping her, wearing our t-shirts and just looking at her smiling and talking to kids," Runnels said. "She's so passionate while talking about it and it's a personal story and that's what means the most and it lights up my heart to see her face light up."

Wesley agreed her openness with students contributed to her success. 

“I think that becoming vulnerable and opening up to others through my story helped create a connection with the students that they could relate to,” Wesley said.

Wesley also anticipates the growth of her campaign, and said she wants to continue to raise awareness for mental health.

“Witnessing my platform unfold so much in just one week makes me so excited to see what happens as this continues,” Wesley said. “The transformation from ‘I’ to ‘We’ had created a domino effect that is going to continue through this campus as more and more people come together to raise awareness for mental health and spread wellness.”

Runnels said witnessing the impact Wesley was making, was one of the coolest parts of the campaign to her.

"There were so many different times throughout the week where she would get text messages from strangers saying, 'this is huge that you're doing this and I need help'," Runnels said. "Justin knowing she made an impact makes me happy personally."

The process was rewarding as well as a chance to connect with students that are in similar situations, according to Wesley.

“I have had people approach me and tell me that I encourage them through standing up for those who don’t have a voice, and that is the most rewarding part about this whole process," Wesley said.

Share and discuss “Taylor Wesley speaks after Miss Homecoming win ” on social media.