American Cancer Society to host Black-Out Cancer Party

The American Cancer Society is hosting the Black-Out Cancer Party from 6-9 p.m. at the War Eagle Supper Club to “black out” cancer. Attendees are asked to wear black and proceeds will go toward future Relay for Life projects. 

Ashlee Baggett, community manager of the American Cancer Society, said they hope to have one more event before the Supper Club closes down. 

The Supper Club has hosted many fundraising events for local organizations including the Lee County Humane Society and Toys for Tots, according to John Brandt, owner of the Supper Club. 

Brandt said he has been working at the Supper Club for 35 years and has been part of ownership for 30 years.

“We’re always trying to give back,” Brandt said. “We don’t charge anybody for rent when they do these benefits.”

Tickets are $35 online or at the door. Two drink vouchers come with a ticket, according to Baggett. 

She said there will also be entertainment including a lip sync battle hosted by local celebrities, a DJ to play music in between and a balloon pop at the end of the night. 

Balloons are $5 and when popped will reveal a certificate for $5-$50 for restaurants and stores. 

Pizza and finger snacks will also be provided. 

Katie Kingston, development coordinator at Auburn University and American Cancer Society volunteer, said the event is open to all, but 18 years and older is recommended. 

“It’s always a good crowd that comes,” Kingston said. “Everyone is friendly and fun, and we all have a good time.” 

Kingston said organizing the event can be stressful, but “it’s a good way to get to know people in the community.” 

Kingston also said the event lets people know the American Cancer Society is active in the area and can get people to support it and the Relay for Life walk. 

For those unable to attend, a donation can be made to the American Cancer Society by visiting relayforlife.org/blackoutcanceral

More information can be found on the event’s Facebook page

Share and discuss “American Cancer Society to host Black-Out Cancer Party ” on social media.