Board of Trustees approves Jordan-Hare improvements and new nursing and pharmaceutical buildings

More construction is coming to campus.

The Auburn University Board of Trustees approved several new projects to begin in the spring at the meeting on Friday, Nov. 20.

Among the new projects is a plan to improve the sewer and storm drain system on the north end of Jordan-Hare Stadium.

The current storm drain is 76 years old and made out of brick and concrete, according to Dan King, associate vice president for Facilities Management.

“It’s not collapsing as we speak, but we really don’t want to wait until it collapses,” King said to the board.

The plan also includes the installation of crane foundations for future construction projects at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

The project has a budget of $4.5 million that will come from the University’s general fund.

The board also approved new nursing school and pharmaceutical research buildings at a site on the corner of Lem Morrison and South Donahue drives.

The new nursing building will cost $29 million, and the pharmaceutical building will cost $16.6 million, according to University documents.

Funchess Hall will be replaced by two buildings, an interdisciplinary sciences building and an agricultural sciences research building, after the board approved the start of those two projects.

“Simply stated, we’d like to replace Funchess Hall,” King said. “The three worst buildings on campus are Parker and Allison halls and Funchess.”

At the start of the meeting, University President Jay Gogue mentioned the recent protest at Missouri and other schools.

“I think what it points out to us of all is that we need to do a better job of communicating,” Gogue said. “We need to have some meaningful dialogues on our campus. Civility and dignity and appropriateness is a part of what a university needs to be about.”

Gogue said the University will make a real effort to become more engaged in the discussion.

Other Items approved by the board:

• Approved the name of the new engineering student center as the Brown-Kopel Engineering Student Center
  • Approved a new locker room facility in the Auburn Arena for the volleyball team
  • Approved plans for the Auburn memorial project

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees approves Jordan-Hare improvements and new nursing and pharmaceutical buildings” on social media.