Running for a cause on Thanksgiving morning

For many, Thanksgiving is an opportunity to enjoy a huge meal and take a nice Thanksgiving nap afterward. But for some, Thanksgiving means a new opportunity to take part in a fun run. 

The Moore’s Mill Club is hosting its annual Moore’s Mill Club Turkey Trot. The fun run, which takes place on the back nine holes of The Moore’s Mill Club Golf Course, is being held at 8 a.m. on Nov.26. 

It costs $18 to register, and all proceeds go to the Food Bank of East Alabama. Strollers are welcome, as well as dogs, but they are not encouraged. 

Sydnee Cleveland, wife of Blake Cleveland, whose father and uncle funded Moore's Mill Club, originally introduced the Turkey Trot plan to the club.

According to Blake, his wife’s idea was not motivated by an intent to have a huge reception.

“My wife is an avid fitness buff and, after hearing about similar runs in other cities, decided to try the event, whether 20 attended or 300 attended,” Blake said. 

The first Turkey Trot was held in 2009, and 300 people attended. The event has grown each year, with last year's attendance being around 500.

According to Blake, where the Iron Bowl is played that year plays an important part in how many people attend. 

“Obviously when the Iron Bowl is in Tuscaloosa, less people sign up for obvious reasons,” Blake said. 

But this year, with the Iron Bowl in Auburn, it appears the event will be larger than ever.

“It’s been kind of a record this year," Blake said. "We’ve had 550 pre-registered for this one.”

The idea to donate proceeds to the Food Bank of East Alabama was also Sydnee’s idea. 

“We love to give back to the community, and there is a lot of hunger in this area,” Blake said.

The registration for the fun run has already closed, but people can sign up for a late registration at 7 a.m. Thanksgiving for no additional cost.

Share and discuss “Running for a cause on Thanksgiving morning ” on social media.