Auburn Family supports student after personal tragedy

Kasandra Watson planned to have a normal Christmas with her mother and two young siblings. She spent the night at her grandmother’s house in Pace, Florida, Dec. 24 and woke up early to call her family just in case they needed her to pick up something on the way over.

With just one phone call, Watson’s life changed.

“Someone else answered the phone,” Watson, graduate student in pharmacy, said. “They said, 'Your mom has been in a car accident. We don’t know how severe it is.'”

Watson rushed home. Not long after, a police officer rang the doorbell.

Her mother, 43-year-old Jennifer Neal, was dead. In that moment, Watson went from being a big sister to a parent. She became responsible for her two young siblings — Kileigh, 11, and Will, 6. They were left with no insurance or savings.

Neal was a natural with children, Watson said. She worked at a daycare center until she had kids of her own. Then, she became a stay-at-home mom.

“She was always up at the school,” Watson said. “She was the ‘room mom.’”

Watson was devastated, but she is no stranger to tragedy. Her father died while she was in high school and her half-brother, who was born with a neurological disorder, died when he was just 2 years old. 

She didn’t tell her siblings about their mother’s death until hours after she heard the news. She didn’t want to ruin their Christmas.

Kileigh has been strong in the face of tragedy. Of course, Watson said, she’ll miss her mother. But she wants to be strong for her little brother.

“It’s unbelievable,” Watson said. “She’s been a beacon of light for everyone.”

Will is too young to fully understand the situation, Watson believes. He still calls out for his mother.

“Some kids will get news like this and they’ll get aggressive,” Watson said. “Nothing like that has happened. They’ve both really surprised everyone. Everyone’s so amazed at how strong they’ve been through the entire situation.”

Watson started a GoFundMe page. She was hoping for just enough to finance her mother’s funeral. But soon, contributions started flooding in. More than $50,000 has been donated in just a few weeks. Most of that money, according to Watson, has come from the Auburn Family.

Because of the kindness of Facebook friends and strangers, Watson said, Kileigh and Will will stay with family members while Watson finishes her degree.

Kileigh is eager to get back into gymnastics, and Will is looking forward to his seventh birthday.

“It’s just amazing the people who have reached out to me,” Watson said. “The support I’ve received is overwhelming.”

To donate to Watson’s page, visit GoFundMe.

Share and discuss “Auburn Family supports student after personal tragedy” on social media.