Former Auburn SGA president seeks to unseat incumbent senator

Jonathan McConnell is challenging one of the most experienced Alabama politicians, Sen. Richard Shelby, in the Republican primary on March 1, but McConnell got his start in politics in Auburn University’s SGA.

McConnell ran against the establishment Greek and Spades candidate when he was elected SGA president in 2003.

“I was not a Greek, so I didn’t have the Greeks behind me,” McConnell said. “I was the anti-Spade candidate. The Spades were 100 percent against me and did a lot to topple that. So I guess I’ve got a history of going against the establishment, but I’ve got a history of winning against the establishment.”

Since then, McConnell went to law school, fought in Iraq as a U.S. Marine officer and founded a company that provides security against pirates to shipping companies moving goods off of the coast of Somalia.

McConnell said he believes Alabamians are hearing his message, despite Shelby spending $11 million to his $700,000.

“I’ve seen a lot of things to be afraid of, and an 81-year-old Richard Shelby is not one of them,” McConnell said.

McConnell said Shelby’s attack ads against him increase his name recognition, but he still has to combat their negative messages.

One negative ad uses a quote from a 2003 issue of the The Auburn Plainsman about complaints filed against McConnell’s campaign in the SGA presidential campaign. Those were cleared.

“It’s extremely desperate,” McConnell said. “(Shelby) will say anything in order to keep his seat, and it reeks of desperation.”

McConnell said he believes in term limits and signed a pledge to only serve 12 years in office.

“(Shelby) needs to lead, or he needs to get out of the way,” McConnell said. “I know he’s fighting Obama everyday, but last time I checked, he hasn’t won a single time.”

Share and discuss “Former Auburn SGA president seeks to unseat incumbent senator” on social media.