Planning Commission approves codifications of the Downtown Master Plan

The Auburn Planning Commission gave their final approval to several codified elements of the Downtown Master Plan on Thursday night, Feb. 11.

Amendments to the comprehensive plan for the city of Auburn, CompPlan 2030, were approved and followed a series of work sessions held by the planning commission to discuss the implementation of the Downtown Master Plan.

The amendments will adjust the comprehensive plan to meet zoning and height restrictions outlined in the Downtown Master Plan.

According to the codes passed Thursday, the existing Urban Core zoning district, which includes most of the traditional downtown area, will be expanded south to East Samford Avenue, to include an additional block.

"The Urban Core is intended to serve as the retail, financial, service, historical, and religious focal point of Auburn," according to the amendments approved Thursday. "High-density residential uses and commercial as vertical mixed-uses are permitted."

Purpose-built student housing will exist a new category of residential developments in zoning codes designated as private dormitories or apartments intended strictly for students, which will not be allowed in the Urban Core.

"The only thing that changes from what has been here before is the exclusion of private dormitories," said Forest Cotten, planning director.

The maximum height in the Urban Core will be 75 feet.

The existing University Services Zoning District will be replaced with three new Urban Neighborhood zoning districts.

"Everyone recognizes the difference in character west of downtown, south of downtown and east of downtown," Cotten said. "Previously our zoning ordinance did not recognize that."

Urban Neighborhood West will include the city blocks from Toomer Street west to Byrd Street and from West Magnolia Avenue north to Martin Luther King Drive.

In contrast with the Urban Core, the University Neighborhood West zoning district is intended to foster the development of private dormitories and redevelopment of existing student-housing apartment complexes, according to planning department officials.

"The primary purpose for this area is to support the University’s student housing needs by the development of new student housing on undeveloped land and the redevelopment of older, lower-quality student housing," according to the amendments.

Commercial development along Magnolia Avenue and North Donahue Drive will also be encouraged by the changes to the comprehensive plan.

From North Donahue Drive east to the Urban Core, the maximum building height will be 75 feet. From North Donahue Drive west, the maximum building height will be 50 feet. Maximum bed densities, or the number of beds per acre, will be much higher in the Urban Neighborhood West zone.

Student-oriented apartments will be permitted in the University Neighborhood East zoning district.

The University Neighborhood East zoning district from the Urban Core east to Debardebelen Street will be similar to the Urban Neighborhood West zoning district. However, height will be restricted to 45 feet in this area and 35 feet for lots adjacent to single-family homes.

The University Neighborhood South zoning district will cover several blocks surrounding and including Amsterdam Café and Mama Mochas, from East Samford Avenue south to Reese Avenue and east to Wrights Mill Road. 

After several citizens spoke to the commission, the building height will also be 45 feet in this zone for lots that do not adjoin to a single-family residence and 35 feet for lots that do.

Initially the maximum height was planned for 35 feet, but citizens including William Dean of Dean Realty convinced the commission the 35-foot maximum height was too restrictive for the area.

Student-oriented apartments must be conditionally approved in the University Neighborhood South zone.

Share and discuss “Planning Commission approves codifications of the Downtown Master Plan” on social media.