SGA campaign violations reported on SGA website, board rules no violations found

Although the results for the SGA election aren't in, the elections board has already ruled on five reported violations in this year's elections.

Jesse Westerhouse, candidate for SGA president, had three reports of campaign violations, according to the SGA website.

All three violations reported against Westerhouse were submitted by presidential candidate Adam Brasher.

One report said Westerhouse's "W" logo used on his campaign material violated SGA laws against using copyrighted material.

The elections board ruled, in a vote of five to one, that Westerhouse's design was "sufficiently original, and, therefore, does not infringe on copyrighted material."

The other two reports alleged Westerhouse's campaign billboard on the concourse was too large, and he only reported using one can of paint when the square footage of his campaign material should have required more paint. 

The elections board ruled unanimously on the two violations that Westerhouse did not violate campaign rules.

A violation was reported against treasurer candidate James Beauchaine for allegedly using GroupMe to campaign, which is against the SGA Code of Laws. 

A second violation alleged Beauchaine supporters violated the rule against campaigning within 30 feet of a voting location by handing material to people crossing the line.

The elections board ruled in favor of Beauchaine because of a lack of evidence submitted with the complaint.

This story will be updated as more develops.

Share and discuss “SGA campaign violations reported on SGA website, board rules no violations found” on social media.