Softball sweeps Saturday doubleheader by combined score of 37-4

After cruising to easy wins against Appalachian State and Western Kentucky earlier in the week, the Auburn softball team easily dispatched Butler and Furman on Saturday, Feb. 13, to improve its record to 4-0 on the season.

The Tigers crushed Butler in the first game, 28-2, behind a 15-run first inning that let Auburn cruise the rest of the way. 

Sophomore Whitney Jordan and freshman Bree Fornis launched their first career home runs — both grand slams — during the game. 

Those were just two of the five homers Auburn crushed in the five-inning game, and the 28 runs broke a school record for a single contest.

Freshman Makalya Martin picked up her first career win after allowing just one earned run.

The back end of the doubleheader was more competitive, but Auburn pulled away after slowing down in the early innings to defeat Furman, 9-2.

The Tigers led 4-0 after six innings following All-American Kasey Cooper's second home run of the day, and they piled on five more runs in the seventh inning after the Paladins scraped a pair across in the top of the inning.

Auburn will close out the Plainsman Invitational on Sunday, Feb. 14, against Appalachian State at 1 p.m.

Share and discuss “Softball sweeps Saturday doubleheader by combined score of 37-4” on social media.