Top-ranked Auburn equestrian throttles No. 9 South Carolina

The No. 1 Auburn equestrian team strengthened its hold on the top-ranked spot Saturday, as the Tigers throttled No. 9 South Carolina, 15-5.

The Tigers (8-1, 4-1) began the day by sweeping Equitation over Fences and Equitation on the Flat, the latter of which was keyed by senior Elizabeth Benson's 96-75 win over Lizzie van der Walde. With the win, Benson becomes the program leader in career wins in the event with 39. 

Auburn, behind wins by Benson, Ashley Foster, Hayley Iannotti, Ashton Alexander and Caitlin Boyle, took every matchup in Equitation over Fences. Iannotti tacked on a 86, tying her season high, while Benson and Alexander added season highs of 96 and 95, respectively.

In Horsemanship, the Tigers were able to pull in a pair of wins behind seniors Griffin Knight and Hannah Loseke. 

Another 5-0 sweep came after intermission, as Foster, Alexander, Boyle, Benson and Tory Hoft collected wins in Equitation on the Flat. 

The day ended with three wins in Reining for Auburn, as Allie Dusha, Alexa Rivard and Blair McFarlin each took home victories. 

Benson was named Most Outstanding Player in both Fences and Flat, and Knight collected her first MOP of the season in Horsemanship.

Another SEC foe awaits the Tigers, as No. 3 Texas A&M visits The Plains on Saturday, March 5. 

Share and discuss “Top-ranked Auburn equestrian throttles No. 9 South Carolina” on social media.