Equestrian defeats top-10 opponent for second consecutive day

A day removed from a narrow win over No. 5 Oklahoma State, top-ranked Auburn took down another top-10 foe on Saturday.

The Tigers edged out No. 7 Kansas State, 10-9, in Manhattan, Kansas, to close out the best season in school history at 11-1.

"I'm very glad we finished off the season with another road win," said Auburn coach Greg Williams. "We put together three dominating events with a very uncharacteristic loss in the reining. With the regular season over, we are happy with where we are as we head into postseason and feel we are in a good position to win rings."

Hayley Iannotti, Elizabeth Benson and Caitlin Boyle each captured their 11th win of the season in Equitation over Fences, giving Auburn an early 4-1 lead.

Griffin Knight, who clinched the win over Oklahoma State on the final ride of the day, set a season high with 77.5 points in Horsemanship. It was a historic ride, as the win gave her the Auburn single-season record for victories in the event (11) and tied the Auburn career record for Horsemanship wins (34).

After Hannah Loseke and Hannah Stephens also earned wins in Horsemanship, Auburn added a 3-2 victory in Equitation on the Flat. Benson tied the school's single-season record with her 12th win in the event this year.

Though the match was already sealed for Auburn, Kansas State dominated Reining to close the day, winning 5-0.

Benson was named MOP in Fences for the fourth time this season, while Knight earned her third in Horsemanship.

Auburn will begin its postseason April 25–26, when it travels to Bishop, Georgia, for the SEC Championships. The Tigers will face South Carolina, which enters the match as the No. 4 seed.

Share and discuss “Equestrian defeats top-10 opponent for second consecutive day” on social media.