Baseball clobbers Alabama State, 11-2

The Auburn Tigers defeated the Alabama State Hornets, 11-2, in Plainsman Park on Tuesday, April 19.

Auburn started off hot from the get-go.

Anfernee Grier led of the game with his eighth home run of the season, then Melvin Gray and Niko Buentello found a way to get on base. Blake Logan then hit a double off of the top of the left field wall. Jackson Burgreen flew out to deep center field to make it 3-0. Damon Haecker finished the scoring in the first with a ground-rule double down the right field line, scoring a run.

Auburn’s lone run of the second inning was a Jordan Ebert solo shot into deep left-center field, well over the 385-foot mark. It made the game 5-0.

Alabama State’s only runs of the contest came in the top of the third as a result of two leadoff singles and a pair of passed balls.

Auburn increased its lead in the bottom half of the inning to 7-2. Burgreen tripled with one out, and Cody Nulph, who went three for four with 3 RBIs, drove in Burgreen and Haecker.

“He got a big base hit," said Butch Thompson. "I’d like to tip my cap to Cody Nulph for really responding … and helping us win tonight."

In the fifth, Nulph and Melvin Gray drove in a pair to increase the Tiger lead to 10-2.

Gray came to the plate five times in the game, going 2 for 3 with two walks. He also scored two runs.

“(Gray's) looking more comfortable every at bat,” said Thompson.

Both teams threw at least seven pitchers on the night, and Auburn’s bullpen fared better than ASU’s. State’s pitchers struggled against Auburn’s lineup, surrendering a hit to every player in the starting lineup.

Auburn’s pitching staff finished with 11 strikeouts on the night, and the defense extended its errorless inning streak to 28 and one-third innings.

Izaac Yarbrough finished with the win.

Auburn (18-19) will continue play this weekend in a three game away series at Ole Miss starting Friday, April 22 at 6:30 p.m., with Justin Camp set to start.

Share and discuss “Baseball clobbers Alabama State, 11-2” on social media.