COLUMN: Not another sappy senior column

When I walked in the door of The Plainsman office almost two years ago, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. 

Long nights taught lessons and forged friendships that will last a lifetime. 

And I didn’t start working here until the summer after my sophomore year.

Sometimes, you don’t find where you belong for a while, but you definitely know it when you do. 

If you’re struggling to find your place in Auburn, don’t worry — it can take years. But enjoy the ride. You’ll meet some pretty cool people and learn a lot of important lessons along the way. 

Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you haven’t found your place at Auburn. If a friend is passionate about their group, ask them about it. You’re friends — you have some common interests, and maybe their organization is a good fit for you too.

Pay attention to the people who make chapter visits or come speak in front of your class. 

Even if they’re not there to recruit people for their organization, they’re often knowledgeable about that group. So if it seems like something you would like to do, ask questions.

Looking back on my two years at The Plainsman, I’m glad I didn’t get involved right away. I waited until I was ready to get serious about life after college. I probably wasn’t ready to report on some of the serious stuff I’ve covered or skip nights like New Year’s Eve with my friends to work. Sometimes waiting — whether because you don’t want to commit or simply don’t know about the organization yet — is the best thing to do.

Even if you don’t find your place until later in your college career, you can still make an impact on others. 

The people you meet along the way make the goodbyes the hardest. But those are the people you’re passing your group to, and it’s in good hands.

Now it’s time for you to toss that graduation cap in the air and step out into a world that treats you like an adult.

Maria can be reached at community@ThePlainsman.com

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Not another sappy senior column” on social media.