Dancing Stars raise the roof in the name of charity

The sixth annual Dancing Stars of East Alabama shook the stage at Auburn Arena on April 21. 

The Junior League of Lee County, an organization of local women focused on volunteering and community outreach, sponsored and organized the event. 

According to Kelly Moore, vice president of communications for Junior League of Lee County, the event used to be run by the private volunteers of the community foundation. Junior League took over the event last year. Moore said this year was the first year Junior League handled most of the event. 

"The Junior League of Lee County strives to promote health and wellness among elementary and middle school children of Lee County by providing and assisting with access to food, nutritional education and physical education," Moore said. 

The winning dance team was Chris Harris and Jaime Moore. Judges Choice Award went to Earl Kethcum and Jamila Turner. Best Choreography was awarded to Todd Scholl and Mandy Moore. The runners-up were Kendra Sumner and her daughter Reagan Sumner. The fundraising champions were Stacey Jordan and Doc Waller. 

Dancing Stars of East Alabama raises money for local charities and organizations. This year, the recipients were The Exodus Ranch, Storybook Farms, I Am My Brother's Keeper and Auburn Parks and Recreation. 

"Each of the recipients are very excited for the donations," Moore said. "In the past, we have handed out checks to the organizations, and they have been close to tears." 

Overall, the competition raised over $110,000, Moore said. All of these proceeds go to the grant recipients and the community. 

The competition involves a "star" who is a well-known community member who was nominated to dance. If they accept nomination and agree to compete, they are paired with a professional dancer or they select someone close to them that dances, Moore said. 

There were other performers at the start of the event from local dance companies. 

The teams then begin to practice for the big night. Each team performed to their personal selection of music. There were eight teams performing for the competition. 

"The event was a huge success," Moore said. "It ran very smoothly, and we raised a lot of money that will be going right back into the community." 

Share and discuss “Dancing Stars raise the roof in the name of charity” on social media.