Dominant pitching helps Auburn complete sweep of No. 12 Georgia with 2-1 victory

If No. 2 Auburn's series against No. 12 Georgia revealed anything about the Tigers, it's that they're comfortable winning games however they need to. After winning on a walk-off homer on Friday night and crushing the Bulldogs by 11 on Saturday, the Tigers won a pitcher's duel 2-1 on Sunday to earn their fourth consecutive SEC sweep and 13th consecutive SEC victory.

Brilliant pitching was the story for Auburn (45-5, 15-3 SEC). Senior Lexi Davis got the start and pitched four innings, allowing all three of Georgia's hits while striking out two Bulldogs. She allowed a solo home run by Alyssa DiCarlo in the fourth, which broke a scoreless tie.

That homer ultimately was Georgia's final hit. Davis finished the frame and was relieved by Rachael Walters to start the fifth. Walters (8-2) earned the win with a strong no-hit performance in the final three innings.

Trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the sixth, the Tigers finally started to produce at the plate. Kasey Cooper and Carlee Wallace both drew walks to reach base before Bree Fornis came in to pinch-run for Wallace. A double to right center field by Madi Gipson scored Cooper to tie the game at 1-1. That was followed by an RBI groundout by Courtney Shea that sent Fornis home for what was ultimately the game-winning run.

"I think that Lexi and Rachael did a magnificent job of pitching," said Auburn coach Clint Myers. "That's what we've been relying on all year long: good pitching, good defense and timely hitting. We got that today with Madi's hit to right center field."

During their 13-game SEC winning streak, the Tigers have outscored their opponents 112-17.

Share and discuss “Dominant pitching helps Auburn complete sweep of No. 12 Georgia with 2-1 victory” on social media.