Students honored during memorial ceremony

Auburn students and faculty, as well as friends and family gathered together in the Student Center Ballroom to celebrate the lives of three students who died during this school year - In memory of Eric Jaegge, Dakota Parker and Justin Latting Weimer.

Bobby Woodard, associate provost and vice president for student affairs, opened the memorial ceremony and offered his condolences to the family and friends in attendance.

“For 17 years I’ve been in this field and these ceremonies never get any better … situations like this are never easy,” Woodard said.

Woodard then read the poem “The Dash” by Linda Ellis, where Ellis describes the time between birth and death as a ‘dash’, or the time that matters.

“I hope you understand that here at Auburn University, the people sitting in this room are honored to be a part of your sons’ ‘dash,'” Woodard said. “Their spirit will always be a part of Auburn University. Their spirit’s on the field, in the classroom, in our community, it’s all around us, it’s something the people in this room will take with them forever.”

Scott Weimer, Justin Latting Weimer’s father, said there is nothing like the loss he and the other deceased students’ parents are experiencing.

“It’s deep, it’s difficult and it’s a long journey for us and we’ll be in it for the rest of our lives,” Weimer said. “I look at the pictures of these three young men and it takes my breath away … we have no control over how many days we have on this earth, you only have control of how well you live.”

Weimer said his son Justin quoted “The Dash” in his high school yearbook because it was important to Justin that he live well.

“There are a number of students who are here tonight … you have finals coming up and there’s a lot going on, you have a lot of pressure … we want you to live well and if you ever have a moment where you’re struggling and you’re not sure you’re okay, there’s a community of people around you. Reach out to them and talk with them.”

After a candle lighting ceremony to commemorate the students, Woodard said Auburn will always be a home to the families who lost their sons.

“These three gentleman will always be a part of the Auburn Family,” Woodard said. “They were a very important part of our family … your three sons will eternally be a part of us.”

Share and discuss “Students honored during memorial ceremony” on social media.