Brewing science program takes home gold medal in U.S. Open College Beer Championship

Auburn's brewing science program recently took home a gold medal in the first U.S. Open College Beer Championship for its Adris' Cream Ale.

The championship "was held to help determine the best future brewers in North America," according to its website. 

Adris won in the "open” category, in students could enter any style of beer they wanted.

"It's a great win for Adris and speak well to the preparation all students receive on our program," said Martin O'Neill, head of the Department of Nutrition, Dietetics and Hospitality Management.

The Brewing Science and Operations program is a relatively new option offered to graduate students and is designed to prepare students for the malting, brewing and distilling industries.

The curriculum — which focuses on biology, microbiology, chemistry, brewing science, facilities and operations, agronomy and business planning — is offered via distance education courses.

This award comes on the heels of another accomplishment. Two of the program's recent graduates, Eric Mitchell and Scott Worthington, earned medals at the Craft Brewers Conference in Philadelphia earlier this year.

Mitchell and Worthington, both brewers with Heist Brewery in North Carolina, earned a bronze medal in the English-style mild ale category at the 2016 World Beer Cup during the conference.

Share and discuss “Brewing science program takes home gold medal in U.S. Open College Beer Championship” on social media.