City plans to revitalize Bragg Avenue and MLK Drive

Auburn’s Planning Department is conducting a land-use study for the Martin Luther King Drive and Bragg Avenue corridor in order to guide future redevelopment of the area.

“This probably has the most significant neighborhood or residential component to it compared to other efforts in Auburn so far,” said Forrest Cotten, planning director.

Cotton mentioned that the land-use study began as a the second phase of the initiative to renew Opelika Road. Officials believed the notion of a land-use study for northwestern Auburn was somewhat overdue, so the Planning Department expanded the study area.

Ward 1 Councilman and Auburn native Clemon Byrd expressed praise for this revitalization effort of the town he was born and raised in.

“I think it’s going to be great for our community,” Byrd said. “I think some members of the community don’t have a grasp of the power they have when it comes to things like this. They just have to let us know, and I am confident that we can work with them and get the community where it needs to be.”

There are many abandoned buildings across this area, which can provide opportunity for new businesses. Royrickers Cook, vice resident of University outreach and an Auburn native, said this part of town holds potential.

“I remember growing up here in Auburn,” Cook said. “Most of those boarded-up buildings you see on MLK Drive used to be businesses. There was a small restaurant and a service station where the Corner Market is now. That area used to look quite different from a business perspective.”

Cotten said that the southwestern corner of Donahue Drive and Bragg Avenue will have a fairly significant convenience store. The proprietor is also going to add some office space around there. It's been approved but the time to start construction is somewhat uncertain.

Cook actually invested in the Corner Market on MLK Drive with his sister about 10 years ago.

“Our main reason for investing was because the community needed it,” Cook said. “There was a need for your basic food items in that residential area. And I'm happy to see that there will be additional growth taking place.”

Cook has been to meetings will continue to meet with city officials and managers and work the various divisions of the University outreach towards the redevelopment of his hometown.

“I'm excited about having discussions to see how we will continue to keep a special emphasis on this part of town to see how we can help develop it,” Cook said.

Share and discuss “City plans to revitalize Bragg Avenue and MLK Drive” on social media.