Column: Tigers look to replace top receivers

"This will be a position of strength for us in the future." Malzhan explained at SEC Media Days. We've got some outstanding, talented talent at that position. A young talent. And meshed in with those guys that have experience, you know, with Marcus and Tony and those guys."

Inconsistency, suspensions and dropped passes plagued Auburn receivers throughout the 2015 season.   However, it is a new day for Gus Malzahn's offense, and there are new and fresh faces on the offensive side of the ball this season, many of those at the wideout position. A combination of veterans and freshman have been competing throughout the spring and summer for starting positions - the battle is still wide open. 

Auburn needs to replace both of last year’s starters Ricardo Louis and Melvin Ray, who were responsible for more than a third of the team’s receptions and just under half of the Tigers total passing yardage. 

Senior Marcus Davis, who represented the Auburn offense at SEC Media Days, is one veteran returning receiver. Davis caught a career-high 30 passes last season for 182 yards and a touchdown in the upset at Texas A&M. He has 66 catches for 491 yards and three scores in his Auburn career. 

"We've been in this offensive system for a while now and we know it like the back of our hands," Davis said when asked about his leadership role with Stevens, the only other senior in the corps. "We're just trying to take the younger guys on our wings, you know? Just trying to get everybody on one page." 

Senior wideout Tony Stevens will also recieve a great deal of playing time. Stevens stands at 6-foot-4 and has a tremendous height advantage in most match ups, but has not had his break through for the Auburn offense yet. After only hauling in one reception in 2014, Stevens recorded 13 catches for 174 yards and a score during the 2015 season. Stevens expects to produce better numbers and be a deep threat for the Tigers in 2016. Although Stevens and Davis are familiar faces, they have combined for under 1,000 receiving yards during their time in the plains.  

Stevens and Davis' playing experience sets them apart heading into the season, but a lack of depth opens up a tremendous opportunity for the 2016 signees to have an immediate impact for the Tigers.

With former Tiger receiver and current Auburn receiver coach Kodi Burns, help is on the way. That help comes in the form of former five-star prospects in Kyle Davis and Nate Craig-Myers as well as four-star Eli Stove and three-star Marquis McClain. 

“You know, Coach Burns is excited about the group, and, like I said, you're talking about a guy that played in this offense. I think he caught the first touchdown in the national championship game in 2010. He's young enough to relate to the players. So I'm excited to watch that group grow. You're going to have to grow up in a hurry. Those freshmen will play this year and they'll have to grow up in a hurry," said Malzahn.

"This will be a position of strength for us in the future." Malzhan explained at SEC Media Days. We've got some outstanding, talented talent at that position. A young talent. And meshed in with those guys that have experience, you know, with Marcus and Tony and those guys.

Share and discuss “Column: Tigers look to replace top receivers ” on social media.