Bret Smith named director of interdisciplinary studies

Bret Smith was recently named the new director of Interdisciplinary University Studies and associate director of the University College, replacing Kathryn Flynn, who served as the director beginning in fall 2010.

Smith said he is looking forward to getting to know all the students in the program.

“The students I met during my interview and so far this semester have been engaging, enthusiastic and welcoming,” Smith said. “I look forward to working with them to build on the strong foundation that my predecessor, Kathryn Flynn, established.”

Interdisciplinary Studies is a program that allows students to plan a focused course of study that best meets individual career interests.

Smith said one challenge facing him is the task of informing people about the program.

“One of the biggest challenges is getting the word out about the interdisciplinary studies major: what it is, how it works and how students can determine if it is a good fit for them,” Smith said.

Smith said he has prepared for this new role in many ways.

“In some ways, I have been preparing for this job my entire life,” Smith said. “As a student at Purdue, I earned three different degrees from three different schools within the university.”

His post-graduation experience has been both multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary. 

“As a product designer, I have always worked with a wide range of disciplines to effectively solve problems,” Smith said. “As a faculty member, I have a deep commitment to the students at Auburn University.”

He’s done much preparation in his time at Auburn as well, Smith said.

“As industrial design program chair, and most recently as an interim associate dean, I have gained experience in building programs and developing effective frameworks for students, staff and faculty," he said. “All of these experiences have helped to prepare me for this position."

By receiving bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary University Studies, a student may obtain a broader education and acquire a diverse set of skills unique to the profession they desire.

Smith has served on the Auburn faculty since 1985 and previously assisted as interim associate dean of the College of Architecture, Design and Construction. He also obtained a master's degree in English and another in Industrial Design.

Smith has over 20 publications, including articles on design history, design for disassembly, design for space, design for aging populations, designing interactive multimedia, micro mass production and design education.

Share and discuss “Bret Smith named director of interdisciplinary studies” on social media.