Sean White named starting quarterback for season opener

Sean White will call the signals for the Auburn offense in the season opener against Clemson. After a long summer and fall camp of competition, Gus Malzahn ended all of the speculation when he named White the starting quarterback in a press conference on Thursday night.

"I think he's improved in all areas," Malzahn said. "He competed at a high level last year and battled through some injuries.

White won the three-way race that included senior Jeremy Johnson and junior college transfer John Franklin III. The three quarterbacks battled throughout the summer, two scrimmages and many practices in fall camp.

The sophomore quarterback took over the starting position last season after week three, and appeared in seven games for the Tigers. White played through injury much of last season, and Mazlahn believes that in those appearances White, “wasn't the same guy” and that the 6-foot QB is a “mobile guy.”

"He understands the offense. He's in a good spot."

The coaches and players have confidence in White heading into the season, and White believes he has made strides since last season.

"I'm more comfortable. I'm older," White said. Now, he said, he looks as himself this way: "You're the older guy. You're the quarterback."

White added he has "so much respect for the other two quarterbacks." 

The Boca Raton, Florida native completed 83 of 143 passes for 1,166 yards with one score and four interceptions. Johnson hit 95 of 157 passes with 10 touchdown passes and seven interceptions. Franklin, who played at East Mississippi Community College, passed for 733 yards and rushed for 451.

White will lead the Auburn offense on September, 3 in Jordan Hare Stadium against Clemson. Kickoff is set for 8:00 p.m. CST. 

The Auburn Plainsman will continue to update this story

Share and discuss “Sean White named starting quarterback for season opener ” on social media.