Rolling returns: Fans will be allowed to roll the Oaks this season

Toilet paper hangs thick from the branches of the Toomer's Corner oak trees after the A-Day game.
*Taken from the balcony of Ware Jewelers.
Raye May / PHOTO EDITOR
Toilet paper hangs thick from the branches of the Toomer's Corner oak trees after the A-Day game. *Taken from the balcony of Ware Jewelers. Raye May / PHOTO EDITOR

Auburn Football fans can once again roll the Auburn Oaks on Toomer’s Corner.

The University announced fans can resume one of college athletics’ best-known traditions after the original trees were poisoned in 2011.

Ben Burmester, campus planner, said that it has been a multiple year process to be able to see what can be seen today.

“It’s been a long process,” said Burmester. “The work began the summer of 2013, where we remediated the site and built the circular plaza. That is what really set the stage for the planting of the two trees in February of 2014.”

“The rolling itself is not going to hurt the tree,” said Keever. “Fans need to stay outside the fence. If they go inside they are likely to compact the soil and possibly damage the roots. We certainly do not want fans climbing and pulling on the branches because that can damage the trees.”  

The University is asking fans to refrain from rolling any other trees in Samford Park.

The 10 small oak trees lining the walkway from Samford Hall to Toomer’s Corner are descendants of the original oaks and were planted in the spring. They are not yet fully established in the ground, Keever said. 

Keever said there will be security in the area and webcams monitoring the trees 24/7 to prevent any damaging.

Mike Clardy, interim associate vice president and director for Communications and Marketing at Auburn University, said the reopening of the oaks is a big day for the Auburn family.

“It is great that the tradition is back because the rolling of the corner, kind of like the way the eagle is that flies on Saturday, is the fabric of what Auburn is all about,” Clardy said.

This wraps up a five-year saga, Clardy said. 

“We look forward to celebrating again on the corner,” Clardy said. 

Share and discuss “Rolling returns: Fans will be allowed to roll the Oaks this season” on social media.