Uber returns to Auburn

SGA President Jesse Westerhouse and Ward 7 City Councilman Gene Dulaney were the first two Uber customers since it began running again in Auburn on Thursday, Aug. 18. The two rode on Uber's "Ride Zero" Thursday.

An Uber driver arrived to the Tichenor Hall parking lot at 3 p.m.

Westerhouse and Dulaney were shuttled to Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Evangeline George, Uber spokeswoman, said she appreciated Auburn’s enthusiasm.

“We are so excited to be here in Auburn,” George said. “We’ve heard a lot from the community about their enthusiasm to have us here, and we are just as excited.”

Once returning to Tichenor Hall, both Westerhouse and Dulaney expressed great comfort in their experience with Uber.

“With Auburn being a university town, our biggest concern is that we see to the welfare and safety of the students,"  Dulaney said. "Uber gives students another safe, reliable transportation system." 

“The safety concern of the Uber company should no longer be a concern,” Westerhouse said. “Mayor Walt Maddox of Tuscaloosa created a very secure bill that works effectively in a college town setting.”

Uber requires each driver to pass a background check and obtain liability insurance. Auburn's new ordinance amendment granted it the opportunity to audit background checks twice a year.

“The use of Uber should actually make Auburn safer,” Westerhouse said.

Westerhouse said he expects to see a decrease in drunken driving and unsafe walks home, and an increase in convenience for the many students on Auburn’s campus without dependable transportation.

Dulaney said Uber is a great system for Auburn tourists who don’t know their way around town as well as a nice alternative for Auburn residents.

“When Uber comes to a city, you see a great increase in success of transportation in the community,” Westerhouse said. “Uber is convenient at all times, whether students need transportation to the grocery store or home after work."

Share and discuss “Uber returns to Auburn” on social media.