Get to know the Miss Homecoming Top 5

Leah Bostany

Leap with Leah

Senior in Biomedical Sciences

Nominated by Omicron Delta Kappa

“My platform is Leap with Leah towards a brighter future for Lee County. The Auburn Creed states, ‘I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely, and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.’ Beyond the borders of this campus, there is a community of children in need, who are at risk of never graduating high school, pursuing higher education or learning a trade. This week I am partnering with Lee County Youth Development Center, an Opelika-based non-profit dedicated to bridging the education gap for local at-risk youth. We will be raising funds for their amazing organization, as well as bringing awareness to sources of struggle for kids in our community. My hope is that through this campaign, students will share with us how an Auburn education is benefitting them and in turn, work to extend that privilege to others.”

Kelsey Guyan

Quality Outweighs Quantity

Senior in psychology

Nominated by the Student Eminent Society

“My platform is focusing on spreading eating disorder awareness on Auburn’s campus. It is important to note that I not only want to reach out to the women that experience these disorders, but the men too. One’s self worth should be defined by who they are, and not what they look like. Currently, Auburn has no student led support groups for those suffering or recovering from an eating disorder or negative body issues and it is my goal to change that. Actions must be taken, so that the millions of people who are affected by eating disorders know that it is nothing to be ashamed of, rather something to embrace and move forward with. Having an eating disorder has been something that I have struggled with for some time now. By no means have I completely healed, but every day I become one step closer to seeing myself for the strong and intelligent woman that I have strived to become.”

Kate Hardman

Hope with Hardman

Senior and nursing

Nominated by Chi Omega

“My goal through this week is to raise awareness and support for Make-A-Wish Alabama. The Make-A-Wish mission is simple: to grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions in order to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy. It is my hope to spread awareness to this cause and show Auburn’s campus how one simple wish can help restore a child’s hope and strength. As a student body, we have the chance to make a difference in these children’s lives. As a nursing major, whose dream is impacting these children through the field of pediatric oncology, this is my here-and-now impact. My heart is for these kids, and it is my privilege to partner with them in this fight—both in this day and in the future.”

Maggie Smith

Steps of Hope with Maggie

Senior and Human Development and Family Studies

Nominated by Catholic Student Organization

“Baby Steps is something very near and dear to 

my heart as it provides hope and gives a voice to a very unseen and unheard population on campus. It is a startup nonprofit that will be a home for girls at Auburn who get pregnant in college -- many feeling like they must choose between their baby and their education. Baby Steps will provide a place of community and support in a time when many people turn their backs and will empower these women to achieve all that they can as both a mom and a student. Baby Steps is still in its developing stage, and so this week Auburn students have an opportunity to truly make an impact!! We are raising money in order to buy a house and bring the vision of Baby Steps to life. Be on the lookout for the fundraising link via social media! I firmly believe in both family and educational opportunity and that Baby Steps embraces both of these ideals.”

Victoria Starks

Believe in Victory with Victoria

Senior in Nutrition Science

Nominated by Alpha Delta Pi

“This week we are promoting ways to be victorious over the two leading causes of death in the US: Heart Disease and Cancer while simultaneously raising funds for Magic Moments. When I was 13, I was diagnosed with cancer, began my treatments and lost my father to a sudden heart attack all in a matter of three months. When I wasn’t strong enough to stand alone on my own two feet, the Auburn Family, both on campus and in the surrounding community, carried my family and I through the tough times in innumerable ways. One of which was a suggestion for me to apply to have a wish granted by the Magic Moments organization. After beating cancer, I never imagined that I would receive a phone call from their organization freshman year telling me that my family and I were being flown out to L.A. to meet Usher. I absolutely cannot wait to pay it forward to the Auburn family by sharing my story and having the opportunity to support a cause that isn’t just close to my heart, but is my heart.”

Share and discuss “Get to know the Miss Homecoming Top 5” on social media.