Kappa Delta Chi seeks to diversify Auburn

Kappa Delta Chi, a Latina-based sorority, sought to attract an interest group on Auburn's campus after being approached last semester; Now they're in the middle of the ongoing process of becoming an official university chapter by November.

Hailee Walls, Kappa Delta Chi president, said it's not been a simple process.

"Establishing a multicultural sorority at Auburn is not exactly an easy thing to do," Walls said. "It takes a lot of time and patience, but it’s definitely been worth it."

While the sorority welcomes people from all backgrounds, bringing together a large group of women interested proved to be a struggle, Walls said.

"We were approached by Kappa Delta Chi last semester--they were wanting to establish a chapter here," Walls said. "The hardest part was recruiting enough girls to make an interest group mostly because no one is familiar with KD-Chi, and minorities make up a small percentage of Auburn’s demographics--although, don’t get me wrong, KD-Chi wants girls from every background."

Walls said the sorority was overwhelmed with support once they began fundraising in order to establish themselves as a campus organization.

"Once we established an interest group and held a few social events, we needed to fundraise $500 in order to have colony status," Walls said. "We held a fundraiser at BurgerFi and we created a GoFundMe [webpage]."

Facebook was an important tool in fundraising and getting word out about Kappa Delta Chi, Walls said.

"Our goal for GoFundMe was to get friends and family involved in what we are doing, as well as to get the word out about KD-Chi via Facebook," Walls said.

Walls said their mission is to bring a group of women together that understand one another and feel welcome.

"Mainly, we want to bring girls from diverse backgrounds, particularly Latina backgrounds, together so that they have other girls they can relate to and so that, in a sense, they can feel more at home," Walls said. "A lot of girls don’t feel like they fit into the sororities on campus so we want to create a group that promotes all of these girls’ diversity and heritages."

Kappa Delta Chi's long-term goal at Auburn is to promote diversity and bring cultural awareness to campus, Walls said.

"In the same manner, we want to bring more diversity to campus through KD-Chi," Walls said. "We hope KD-Chi will attract more Latina girls and girls from other cultures to Auburn."

Walls said their national philanthropy is the American Cancer Society.

"Kappa Delta Chi focuses on academic and professional development, as well as community service," Walls said. "Among all of our chapters, we contribute 40,000 hours of service every year." 

Walls said in the next couple of weeks they will begin to officially establish themselves on campus.

"We will begin the 8-week process of becoming an official chapter here in Auburn," Walls said. "Our main goal is to finish this process by November before finals begin."

Kappa Delta Chi will be the first multicultural sorority in the state when the 8-week process is completed, Walls said.

"Once we have completed that, we will have initiation and our 'coming out' to campus," Walls said. "Then we will officially be the first multicultural sorority in Alabama, and we’re pretty excited about that."

Walls said she believes they're organization will be able to diversify Auburn in the coming years.

"If everything goes as planned, we will be able to increase the Latina population here in Auburn over the next few years," Walls said.