UPDATED: Assessments show majority of Magnolia Ave Oak canopy is dead

Gary Keever, horticulture professor, provided a statement to clarify the tree's condition. 

“Our message to the Auburn Family about the Magnolia Avenue tree remains the same as from the outset, that it is severely damaged from the Sept. 25 fire. We have conducted three assessments of its health, the most recent one showing 60-70 percent of the tree’s canopy is dead. A few new leaves have formed on some of the live branches, however, this does not indicate additional growth will occur or that those branches will be alive in the spring. Although the outlook is not promising, Auburn is doing everything possible to save the tree. We will continue to monitor the tree and provide updates as they become available.”

In a letter to the Auburn Police Division, Interim Executive Director of Public Safety and Security Chance Corbett said a horticulture professional predicts the burned Auburn Oak will likely die.

The oak was set on fire in the early morning after the Auburn vs. LSU game on Sept. 25. Jochen Wiest, the man who allegedly started the fire, was charged with felony criminal mischief, public intoxication and desecration of a venerable object. 

The damage to the tree will be approximately $15,000 to $20,000, according to Corbett's email. 

This report conflicts with an email The Plainsman received earlier this afternoon from Keever. Keever said though the tree has declined "significantly," there are no plans to remove it. 

"The tree has declined significantly since the morning following the fire, with multiple branches in the canopy now dead," Keever said. "On the positive side, new leaves are forming on some of the live branches scattered through the canopy. We'll continue to monitor the condition of the tree through fall and winter, but at this time, there are no plans to remove it." 

Lee County District Court Judge Steve Speakman decided the evidence against the 29-year-old is enough to continue prosecution at today's preliminary hearing. Wiest was not present at the hearing. 

The Plainsman is awaiting comment about the conflicting reports. 

Read the letter below:

Chief Paul Register:

As a result of the fire that was intentionally set to one of the oak trees on university property at the corner of West Magnolia Avenue and South College Street, it is the professional opinion of Dr. Gary Keever, Professor of Horticulture, that the damaged tree will die and must be replaced. It is estimated that the cost to replace the damaged tree will be approximately $15,000 to $20,000.

Sincerely,

Chance Corbett

Interim Executive Director

Share and discuss “UPDATED: Assessments show majority of Magnolia Ave Oak canopy is dead” on social media.