On The Plains: Episode 1 — Starbucks, Mike Hubbard and Where's the Water?

On the Plains: Episode 1 - Starbucks, Mike Hubbard and Where's the Water?

Hosts: Kris Martins, community reporter, and Chip Brownlee, community editor

• At 0:30 seconds, we discuss recent conflict at the Auburn City Council meeting between the city and the Boarts, family of Melissa Boarts, who was shot and killed by Auburn police in April. Though a grand jury ruled the shooting justified, the Boarts have also filed a lawsuit against the city.
  • At 5:16 we talk about the different construction projects happening around Auburn, particularly in the downtown area, and how they affect citizens and students.
  • At 7:58 we chat about Auburn's first stand-alone Starbucks that is under construction on South College Street. Also coming to Auburn is Taco Mama (9:18) on Magnolia Avenue.
  • At 10:46, we bring you up to speed on the details of Jochen Wiest's preliminary hearing and the Toomer's Oak. Wiest is accused of setting the Magnolia Avenue Toomer's Oak on fire after the LSU game. Also in the courts, former House Speaker Mike Hubbard's motion for a new trial on the basis of juror misconduct was explicitly denied (13:19), and a Montgomery grand jury cleared former Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Secretary Spencer Collier of any criminal wrongdoing while in office (18:27). Gov. Robert Bentley fired Collier in March for alleged "misused of state funds."
  • At 20:17, we talk about the drought in the state and how it affects Auburn. The AWWB has issued a Phase 1 Drought Watch, which urges a voluntary conservation measures.
  • At 27:19, we talk about the increase in voter registration in Lee County and its possible causes.

Share and discuss “On The Plains: Episode 1 — Starbucks, Mike Hubbard and Where's the Water?” on social media.