RBD Library to close between semesters

RBD Library will be closing between the fall and spring semesters for four weeks beginning Friday, Dec. 9 at 6 p.m. and will reopen at on Saturday, Jan. 7 at 9 a.m.

Bonnie MacEwan, dean of libraries, said the closing will help the construction process stay on schedule without disturbing people.

“By closing during the break, we allow the builders a chance to more quickly move forward with this major project,” MacEwan said. “Managing the project this way cuts down on the number of users impacted by noise, plus it will help ensure that the classrooms are available for fall 2017 classes.”

Some of the nosiest work associated with the construction will be completed during this period, MacEwan said.

MacEwan said the entrance to the building will be under construction, and RBD will be without heat, light, water and climate control.

Jayson Hill, director of communications and marketing of libraries, said the project is on schedule to be completed in time for the fall 2017 semester.

“They will be breaking through the walls of the third and fourth floors to start the process of connecting the two buildings together, and the parking deck side entrance of the library will be replaced,” Hill said.

Over the holiday break, library services will be accessible to students at the Library of Architecture, Design and Constructions (LADC), including electronic services.

The LADC will be open the same hours RBD would have been during this period, Hill said.

MacEwan said parking for the LADC will be available in the A and B zones located along Duncan Drive and Graves Drive during the break.

MacEwan said White boards and markers along with seating choices such as study tables, armchairs, couches and rocking chairs, will be available to students at the LADC; It will offer the same amenities RBD currently does, such as MacBook chargers, Adobe Creative Cloud, headphones, printers and scanners.

“Anyone looking for a comfortable place or in-person services will find them in the LADC branch,” MacEwan said.

MacEwan said the last day to submit a request to check out a book is Friday will be Dec. 2, and the last to day to submit a request for an article or submit an AUBIExpress request will be Tuesday, Dec. 6. 

Share and discuss “RBD Library to close between semesters” on social media.