Awards continue to pile up following meet at Tennessee

After a victory for the men’s squad and a loss for the women against Tennessee on Nov. 11, another trio of Auburn swimmers have earned weekly awards for their performances.

Tuesday, College Swimming dubbed Luis Martinez SEC Swimmer of the Week. Michael Duderstadt and Julie Meynen were named SEC Swimmer of the Week and SEC Freshman of the Week respectively.

Luis Martinez won the 200 against the Volunteers with a time of 1:46.59, and the 100 in 47.26. Martinez swept the butterfly events again, notching his fourth sweep of the season. Martinez holds the sixth fastest 100 time in the nation, with his time against LSU of 47.10, and the 14th fastest 200 time, also coming in Baton Rouge, at 1:46.50

Duderstadt won his fourth 100 breaststroke of the season, in 57.73. Duderstadt also won his second 200 breaststroke with a time of 1:59.94, completing the breaststroke sweep for the second consecutive dual meet. Duderstadt’s 100 time is currently ranked first in the nation. Duderstadt claimed the fastest third-leg split time, and the second fastest overall split.

Freshman phenom Julie Meynen won the award of Freshman of the Week for the third time this season. Meynen swept the freestyle events in Knoxville with a 50 free time of 22.65, good for second in the conference, and a 100 free time of 49.42. Meynen’s time of 22.49 in the 200 free relay was good for fastest in the field.

The women’s swim and dive team will continue their season in Atlanta in the Georgia Tech Invitational, spanning from this Friday, Nov. 17 to Sunday, Nov. 19, while the men look to remain unbeaten when they travel to Athens for a meet against Georgia on the weekend of Dec. 2. 

Share and discuss “Awards continue to pile up following meet at Tennessee” on social media.