FAREWELL COLUMN: Do it all, when you look back you'll wish you did

Nine semesters, three summers spent working, 65 football games and four and a half years later, graduation is staring me straight in the face. Soon, I will walk across that stage and my time in college will be over.

I’ve had plenty of time, and it’s been great so I’m not about to waste your time with a mushy gushy “oh, I’m going to miss college so much” farewell. But I will let you in on a couple secrets that made my college experience the best it ever could be.

First, I’ll start with why we’re all at this wonderful university in the first place — to get ready for our careers, duh. Yes, having endless nights screaming karaoke songs and stuffing your face with Little Italy pizza is definitely fun and part of the experience but focusing on my career the last two and a half years has really made all the difference.

However, if it hadn’t been for The Plainsman I probably wouldn’t be sitting here confident that I am well-prepared and qualified to enter the workforce.

It was only summer 2014 when I got involved with the student newspaper. But I didn’t let that stop me. Sorority and majorette obligations dominated my first two years at Auburn but when I walked into Suite 1111 in the basement of the Student Center for the first time I knew I needed to work my butt off and quick.

And I did just that. I’ve pretty much done it all minus being a photographer. I ran the paper for summer 2015 and that was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. In one summer, I learned more than I would’ve learned in an entire year as Editor-in-Chief.

See, I was dealt a hard hand because the paper was going through a change in advisement. I attended countless meetings and helped keep The Plainsman afloat during the Student Media restructure.

However, the 11 Plainsman staffers and I just kept on working through it covering every side of news in Auburn. When you’re put through hard situations that sometimes seem impossible, it makes you come together and go the extra mile to get the work done.

I’ve been told that working at a student newspaper is quite possibly the hardest job you’ll ever have. But when it’s all said and done you have a heap of memories and a support system you can lean on for years to come.

So, find your people. Whether it’s in your major classes, on a sports team or through your job — find the people you can count on.

Oh and if you’re worried about not having time to do it all, don’t.

I was a majorette, in a sorority, on the Relay for Life committee for a year, in two honor societies and I worked a total of three jobs so it’s definitely possible.

I don’t regret being super busy and running 99 miles per hour most of the time because it’s gotten me to where I am today — a confident almost graduate with five potential internship offers in front of her.

Emily Esleck is a senior graduating this December.

Share and discuss “FAREWELL COLUMN: Do it all, when you look back you'll wish you did ” on social media.