An even sweeter Auburn: 9th annual Gingerbread Village unveiling

Auburn's most iconic buildings were downsized, candied and iced for the ninth year at The Hotel at Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center's annual unveiling of Gingerbread Village on Dec. 8, 2016. 

Parade goers left the cold sidewalks of Downtown Auburn after the annual Christmas parade for complimentary hot chocolate, cookies and a sweet sight at the hotel. 

The Gingerbread Village was handled differently this year, said Allison Duke, marketing and social media director. Instead of designating a group of staff members to build the entire village, each department was assigned a building. Duke helped in the construction and decoration of the pathways and the President's Mansion. 

Andreas Anagnostopoulos, banquet director, worked on Cater Hall and Langdon Hall. He advised fellow gingerbread house constructors to use strong, thick icing and to be creative. 

The changes in the event's assembly and the new department teams made the event the most successful yet, Anagnostopoulos said. 

"Each department took so much pride in their own building," Anagnostopoulos said. "There are a lot of extra little details that are put into [the display]. Instead of having a group of ten people in charge of the entire village, we had smaller groups from each department take it on."

Displayed and transformed into gingerbread lookalikes were The Hotel at Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center, Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art, the President's Mansion, Cater Hall, Samford Hall, Langdon Hall, the Auburn University Chapel, Cary Center, Hargis Hall and Storybook Farm. 

Storybook Farm was added to the spread last year, and Anagnostopoulos said they hope to add another building next year. 

"We try to keep the buildings consistent every year, but as far as the designs for the buildings, it's really just what anyone wants to do to get creative," Duke said. 

Duke said the event planning and preparation was long winded. The head pastry chef began baking the gingerbread two weeks prior to the event, spending around five and six hours a day working on the project. The building and decorating process began three days prior to the big reveal. 

The tedious, careful work is displayed for huge audiences each year. The event kicks off the holiday season for many, Duke said. 

"It's one of our favorite events here at the hotel, and I'm sure the public enjoys it with as many that show up," Anagnostopoulos said. 

The event grows in attendance every year as more parade goers add it to their Christmas traditions, Anagnostopoulos said. 

Dianne Kim, Auburn resident, moved to the city a few months ago and attended the parade and Gingerbread Village unveiling with her husband and 10-year-old son.

After moving from Atlanta, the small-town, community-driven events of the night were refreshing and welcoming to the family, Kim said. She said the family thoroughly enjoyed the parade and unveiling. 

"Events like this give you the opportunity to feel like you are a part of a community," Kim said. 

Gingerbread Village will be displayed and open to visitors for the rest of December.

Share and discuss “An even sweeter Auburn: 9th annual Gingerbread Village unveiling ” on social media.