Office of International Programs hosts Thanksgiving

The Office of International Programs hosted their Thanksgiving Pie Reception to help students staying in Auburn celebrate the holiday.

Jenn Mason, director of international initiatives, said provides services in relation to immigration.

“[The OIP] serves as international students at Auburn by providing immigration-related services” Mason said.

The office also provides services in relation to the Auburn Abroad program, Mason said. 

“OIP also encompasses the study abroad functions of the University, providing students the opportunity to study and work abroad through faculty-led programs, exchange programs and internships,” Mason said.

Mason said her department plays an important role in making students from different cultures feel welcome.

“In the Office of International Programs it is so important to provide international students with a sense of community and belonging here at Auburn,” Mason said. 

Creating a sense of community for students of different cultures begins with attendance of these events, Mason said. 

“Encouraging the events they put on to encompass not only Auburn culture, but those of various nations to create a collaboration of cultures and a welcoming environment,” Mason said.

Mason said there are several benefits the program has among the Auburn community by offering a new perspective.

“We want these students to integrate into our campus and local culture for their own benefit and also enrich the perspectives of our domestic students, faculty, staff and community members,” Mason said.

In an effort to accomplish this sense of community, Mason said OIP hosted their annual Pie Reception for the second time.

Mason said she was pleased with the turnout and her team; She said there was approximately 500 people in attendance.

“The whole OIP staff looks forward to the opportunity to interact with students in such a fun atmosphere and share some of our traditions with them as [the international students] are so often generous enough to do for us,” Mason said.

Share and discuss “Office of International Programs hosts Thanksgiving” on social media.