​Campus Safety & Security promotes stalking awareness

As January is National Stalking Awareness Month, the University Department of Campus Safety and Security has developed a list of tools they believe students should be equipped with in the event they find themselves in a stalking situation where they've become fearful. 

Read the full statement from Susan McCallister, Campus Safety & Security assosicate director, below. 

"The month of January is recognized as National Stalking Awareness Month. The Auburn University Department of Campus Safety & Security, along with other campus partners, is working this month to promote awareness of what constitutes stalking, its prevalence and what resources are available for those experiencing stalking behavior.  

Stalking definitions vary.  For purposes of campus policy and crime statistics, stalking is two or more acts, directed at a specific person, which would cause a reasonable person to fear for their safety or the safety of others, or suffer substantial emotional distress.  Stalking behavior may include following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating to or about a person by any means (including phone, text, e-mail, social media, or in person) or interfering with a person’s property.  Stalking is prohibited by the Policy on Sexual and Gender-Based Misconduct and Other Forms of Interpersonal Violence (Title IX Policy).  Under Alabama law, the above behaviors may be classified as stalking, harassment, harassing communications, intimidation, or another crime.

National statistics from the Stalking Resource Center (www.src.org) indicate that one in four women and one in 13 men will be victims of stalking in their lifetime.  Rates of stalking among college students are higher than the general public, with 13% of women reporting being stalked while in college. Intimate partner stalking is the most common type of stalking and is also the most dangerous. In 2015, 24 cases of stalking were reported on the Auburn University campus, up from 14 in 2014 and 10 in 2013.   In reality, the number of actual cases is likely higher, since studies show that most victims don’t report stalking to the police or campus officials.

So what should you do if you’re being stalked?

• Trust your instincts. Don’t downplay the stalking behavior. Recognize that stalking can pose a real threat of harm.
  • Contact Safe Harbor to talk with an advocate about resources and reporting options on and off campus. Safe Harbor advocates are available for a confidential consultation 24/7 at 334-844-7233 or safeharbor@auburn.edu.
  • Consider reporting it to officials.
    • Call the police (911 for emergencies or crimes in progress; 334-501-3100 for non-emergencies) to report the behavior, especially if you feel you’re in immediate danger. Explain why the behavior makes you feel fearful.
    • Report it to the Title IX Coordinator (334-844-4794 or via the online reporting form at www.auburn.edu/titleix). The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for officially investigating reports of policy violations and holding those found responsible accountable, and may also provide temporary protective measures and accommodations for the safety and well-being of survivors.
  • Keep a record or log of every contact made by the stalker, including in-person encounters, phone calls, texts, e-mails and social media messages. Keep records of police reports filed and orders of protection requested or obtained.
  • Save all e-mails, text messages, photos, social media posts, and other communications as evidence of the stalking behavior.

Remember, stalking is a pervasive, dangerous, and potentially lethal crime that can happen to anyone. To learn more, visit the Stalking Resource Center’s website at www.VictimsOfCrime.org/src."

Share and discuss “​Campus Safety & Security promotes stalking awareness” on social media.