Capitol on the Plains brings together state representatives for political discussion

SGA hosted the Capitol on the Plains in Langdon Hall on Thursday, Jan. 26 where four state House Representatives spoke to Auburn students, addressing policy questions and other state concerns.

SGA President Jesse Westerhouse read questions to the speakers including topics such as education, Medicaid and economic policy.

When asked about education, the representatives spoke about goal-setting and tuition increases.

Rep. Terri Collins, R-Decatur, said she thinks it’s very important to set firm goals, particularly in the realm of education.

“We’re one of the few states that’s never had education goals,” Collins said. “I’ve been working with some of the different areas from Pre-K all the way up to college graduation about setting some goals.”

Rep. Anthony Daniels, D-Huntsville, said the federal government has cut back on the funding they give to higher education, resulting in higher tuition prices.

“I’m not an advocate for an increase in tuition, but I think that we aught to have a closer relationship with our industries and giving them some involvement in curriculum development so that it translates in job growth,” Daniels said.

Medicaid was discusses next and Rep. Elaine Beech, D-Chatom, used her background as a pharmacist when answering questions.

Beech said there’s been no reforms since Medicaid was formed in the late 1960s.

“Medicaid has got to be reformed,” Beech said. “There are many discrepancies in it. I don’t feel like we’re serving the people we should serve through Medicaid the way we should serve them.”

When asked about the economy, Daniels said he was concerned with retaining the young people coming out of universities in Alabama.

“We have to figure out a way to retain you guys when you leave school,” Daniels said. “Many of you are probably leaving and moving to other areas like Atlanta, D.C. and other places where there are a lot of things to do to accommodate your lifestyles.”

House Speaker Mac McCutcheon, R-Madison, answered audience questions and said early voting came up during special sessions.

“I do know we’ve got a piece of legislation that has been worked on and is ready to be addressed by the legislature this year on the early vote,” McCutcheion said. “Early voting is something I think needs to be discussed.”

Among one of the final audience questions, was one regarding what President Trump’s administration might regard as high priority in the coming months.

Beech said she wasn’t certain what we can expect from a Trump presidency.

“I think that right now our priority is to find out exactly where his priorities are,” Beech said. “I don’t know if anyone is sure what that’s going to be.”

Share and discuss “Capitol on the Plains brings together state representatives for political discussion” on social media.