Career night from Harper not enough to sink Rebels

With 5:29 seconds remaining in the second half, The Ole Miss Rebels were slowing their offense down to run as much clock as they could to protect their 12 point lead.

Things quickly changed.

True freshman point guard Jared Harper lead the way for the Tigers, and Auburn (10-5, 0-3) found themselves down three points, with three seconds remaining and possession of the ball.

The furious comeback was not enough.

Jared Harper fouled out, and an open look from T.J. Lang fell short at the buzzer as Auburn dropped their third straight to open up conference play.

Despite the loss, point guard play for the Tigers was tremendous. Graduate transfer Ronnie Johnson finished with 12 points, three rebounds and three assists, while Harper lead the way with a career high 24 points, two assists and was 14-17 from the free throw line.

“Our goals are still the same that they’ve always been,” Harper said. “Everything is not going to be perfect throughout the season. We didn’t think we were going to go undefeated. Maybe we didn’t think we’d go 0-3 but we’re accepting that and going into practice with clear minds getting ready to play Missouri.”

True freshman Mustapha Heron was also pivotal for the Tigers, and scored 20 points for Auburn. Heron scored in double figures, once again, and tied an Auburn record because of it. Danjel Purifoy had a hot start and scored the first basket for the Tigers, but was injured late in the first half when he came down on his ankle after a three-point attempt.

“Losing Danjel was tough. He’s an important part of our scheme,” Pearl said. “It’s a pretty good sprain. I’d say there’s a pretty good chance he’s out (for Missouri).”

The Rebels were lead by junior guard Deandre Burnett, who scored 18 points for Ole Miss and sank a triple that gave the Rebels a three point lead late in the game. Senior forward Sebastian Saiz was also pivotal for the Rebels, and kept the Auburn big men in check while scoring 14 points and hauling in 10 rebounds.

"They made big shots," Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said. "For them to shoot 12-of-27 from the three was pretty darn significant and the reason why they won the game. Score 85 points, you should win a lot of college basketball games but Ole Miss made shots. They made big plays. They’re a veteran team."

Auburn will return to action on Tuesday night on the road at Missouri. The contest can be seen on the SEC Network, and tip-off time is set for 6 p.m. CT.

“We’ll get ready for Missouri,” Pearl said. “We’ll get ready every night, and we’re laying a foundation.”

Share and discuss “Career night from Harper not enough to sink Rebels” on social media.