Lee County hosts second annual Therapeutic Fair

Last week, Lee County invited families to the Harris Parks and Recreation Center for the second annual Lee County Therapeutic Fair.

The county event was intended for families of those with intellectual disabilities to gather as a community and visit many booths displaying programs, medical samples and resources for those with therapeutic needs.

Along with The Auburn Best Buddies booth, there were tables with Professional Medical Fulfillment, Exceptional Outreach Organization, Greens and Beans, job training, Vocational Rehabilitation Services and many more.

Dana Stewart, Lee County Special Programs coordinator, said there was a "steady flow throughout the night" and has hopes to host the event again for a third year next year.

With Lee County's constant growth, there is a continuing increase of those with intellectual disabilities joining and moving to the community.

Stewart said she enjoyed putting on this event for all of the new members of the community.

"This fair benefits families tremendously," Stewart said. "It is a great way to find what is out there for your child and to network with other families in the community."

Several of the organizers present said that with such a growing population, volunteers are always welcome and appreciated.

"Lee County offers many programs that are very good social outlets for them and the parents," said Jean Hill, a mother who attended the fair for a second year with her daughter. "We know a lot, but there are always one or two things that we didn’t know about. Coming to an event and seeing many other parents with the same concerns is a plus."

Both Jean and her daughter said they enjoy all of the therapeutic programs put on by Lee County.

Share and discuss “Lee County hosts second annual Therapeutic Fair” on social media.