SDA hosts speaker to discuss eating disorder treatment

Martha Lee Anne Baugh, MS, RD, LD of A Center for Eating Disorders in Birmingham, Ala., spoke during the Student Dietetic Association’s monthly meeting. Baugh is a former Auburn student and a registered dietitian nutritionist.

SDA helps students interested in a career related to dietetics meet professionals already in that field of study through speaking events and volunteering programs. 

SDA Vice President MC Ellard, senior in nutrition, said SDA serves as a community for students in nutrition and dietetics to grow professionally and to learn more about the field.

Ellard said the speaker shared what her job entails on a day-to-day basis. 

“The sole purpose of her job is she really wants her clients to find health again,” Ellard said.

Ellard said Baugh shared how she helps clients develop a healthy relationship with food and the body and how to practice self-compassion for the mind and the body.

“She taught how to guide clients towards self-love and physical activity in a way that promotes self-esteem, strength and joy instead of guilt and shame,” Ellard said. 

The National Institute of Mental Health estimates 25% of college students have eating disorders. Although it’s more common among college women, the association says 10% to 15% of people affected by anorexia and bulimia are male students.

“It doesn’t take long for clients to restore their weight, but she works really hard for the clients to reach full recovery so they don’t have to come back for treatment," Ellard said. "Their mind is guilty, and they have negative thoughts and worries about their features and their body."

Baugh said she doesn’t care about the number on the scale, but rather the person becoming healthy again so they can move on and pursue the things they love.

A study done by the National Eating Disorders Association showed eating disorders among females increased from 23% to 32% and from 7.9% to 25% among males since 1995.

NEDA’s study of college students also found only 6% of students with disordered eating were queried about it by a health provider. 

The study also said screenings for eating disorders on campus are “seriously lacking."

The University’s Student Counseling Services offers ten free individual counseling sessions for students per academic year, including eating concerns and body image issues.

Share and discuss “SDA hosts speaker to discuss eating disorder treatment” on social media.