Tigers top Southern Cal, advance to the National Team Indoor Championships

Auburn women’s tennis punched it’s ticket to the ITA National Women’s Team Indoor Championships with a 4-1 victory over USC at Yarbrough Tennis Center on Sunday. The No. 15 Tigers will now prepare for the National Indoor Championships, hosted by Yale University, on Feb. 10-12 in New Haven, Conn.

“Clinching a spot at National Indoors for the first time is a very special milestone for our program,” Auburn head coach Lauren Spencer said. “Even though we had such a good year last year, we wanted to continue to build and grow as a program, so this was a big goal for us. We are excited for this opportunity.”

Auburn took the doubles point and jumped out to a 1-0 lead on USC. No. 25 Alizee Michaud and Taylor Russo improved to 8-3, defeating No. 18 Zoe Katz and Gabby Smith.

Alannah Griffin and Andie Dikosavljevic clinched the doubles point for the second-straight day, defeating Jessica Failla and Rianna Valdes 7-6 (6) on court two.

“I was extremely proud of our doubles today,” Spencer said. “Allie and Taylor are playing high level tennis right now and beat a very good doubles team. Again, with the doubles point on the line, Andie and Alannah stepped up and showed why they are one of the top doubles teams in the SEC, to clinch the point.”

No. 13 Michaud was the first of the court in singles, winning her 15th singles match of the season to defeat the Trojans No. 56 Zoe Katz. Michaud now has 61 singles victory for her career.

Roos van der Zwaan kept things rolling for the Tigers, upsetting No. 52 Madison Westby 6-3, 6-3. The junior improved to 3-0 in singles on the season.

Sophomore Griffin clinched the match for Auburn with an, 6-2, 7-6 (4) upset over USC’s No. 52 Madison Westby.

The Tigers will be back in action on Friday Feb 3 in Illinois to take on the Fighting Illini. 

Share and discuss “Tigers top Southern Cal, advance to the National Team Indoor Championships” on social media.