City purchases $4 million plot for recreational use

The City of Auburn now has 160 more acres of land for park and recreational use.

At their regular meeting Tuesday night, the Auburn City Council unanimously approved the purchase of the plot located between Richland Road and Highway 14 from the Auburn City Board of Education.

The board purchased the land in July 2016 as part of a bigger 272-acre deal.

After developing a master plan for the land that includes a new elementary school and a new high school, the board determined the remaining acreage could be sold to the city for $4 million.

The land includes a lake that Parks and Recreation Director Rebecca Richardson said could be used as a focal point for walking trails or even for fishing.

An early mockup of the plan for the land done by the city also features several baseball diamonds and multipurpose fields similar to the intramural fields on Auburn University’s campus.

Richardson said the land will be incorporated as part of her department’s master plan currently being developed.

The Parks and Recreation Department hopes to have the plan completed by late April or early May, Richardson said at the Feb. 7 council meeting.

The purchase agreement was originally introduced at the council’s meeting two weeks ago when it was tabled until council members could learn more information about the land and tour it for themselves.

At that Feb. 7 meeting, Ward 2 Councilman Ron Anders described buying the large plot as an opportunity to “build out our parks and rec needs for our citizens, our children [and] their parents for years and years and years to come.”

Anders, along with Ward 3 Councilwoman Beth Witten, Ward 5 Councilwoman Lynda Tremaine and Mayor Bill Ham, toured the undeveloped land last week.

At the Feb. 21 council meeting, Witten said touring the land and seeing a concept plan were helpful in making the decision to vote in favor of the purchase.

“I think it would be a great asset for our community for years to come,” she said.

As part of a separate ordinance Tuesday night, the council also approved the rezoning of a 4-acre plot that borders the newly acquired land to the north.

The rezoning of the plot will allow its owners to build more homes, up to one per acre, onsite. The only council member to vote against the ordinance was Witten, who cited concerns over increased congestion in the area.

Share and discuss “City purchases $4 million plot for recreational use” on social media.