FBI and University warn students of employment scams

The University Career Center and the Harbert College of Business Office of Professional Career Development sent an email on Tuesday, Jan. 31 strongly urging students to protect themselves from recent employment scams targeting college students.

The email was sent in light of the public service announcement from the FBI on Jan. 18, 2017.

The FBI said the scammers seeking funds through fraudulent methods could potentially use the money to fund illicit criminal or terrorist activity.

The scam involves phony job opportunities posted on college employment websites like Handshake and emails soliciting students for fictitious positions.

The FBI gave examples of what employment scam emails might say:

"You will need some materials/software and also a time tracker to commence your training and orientation, and also you need the software to get started with work. The funds for the software will be provided for you by the company via check. Make sure you use them as instructed for the software, and I will refer you to the vendor you are to purchase them from, okay.

I have forwarded your start-up progress report to the HR Dept., and they will be facilitating your start-up funds with which you will be getting your working equipment from vendors and getting started with training.

Enclosed is your first check. Please cash the check, take $300 out as your pay, and send the rest to the vendor for supplies."

The FBI suggests looking for poor grammar and spelling in any suspicious email, for some of the scammers might not be native English speakers.

The scam sends students counterfeit checks in the mail or through email and then instructs the “employee” to deposit the check into their personal checking account. The employee will then be asked to withdraw the funds from their checking account and wire transfer it to another individual, usually a “vendor,” for the costs of equipment, materials or software necessary for the job.

The bank will mark the checks as fraudulent, which could lead to several damaging consequences.

The student's bank account could be closed due to fraudulent activity, and a report could be filed by the bank with a credit bureau or law enforcement agency.

The student would also be responsible for reimbursing the bank for the counterfeit checks.

Not only could the scam negatively affect the student’s credit record, but also the scammers might have personal information of the student, leaving them vulnerable to identity theft.

Students are encouraged to never accept a job requiring depositing checks into their bank account or wiring money.

Share and discuss “FBI and University warn students of employment scams” on social media.