Involvement ambassador stays busy so students can stay involved

While most students think adding another responsibility to their already-packed schedule of school, work and a social life seems close to impossible, AU Involvement Ambassador Lauren Leahy proves just the opposite.

Leahy, senior in public relations, is the vice president of communications and marketing for the Involvement Ambassadors, and, up until last December, President of the Auburn Hockey Hostesses and Sigma Kappa vice president of philanthropic services.

“I actually work better when I have more going on," Leahy said. "It’s easier for me to plan out my day and figure out what I need to get done at what time.” 

When asked about what she does in her free time Leahy joked, “Free time? What a concept.”

During what free time she does have, Leahy said she's begun an online jewelry company, Made with Lauren, where she's been hand making custom necklaces.

All of these positions take up a lot of time, but Leahy said it's her Ambassador duties she works on most. 

Ambassadors act as liaisons between on campus organizations and the rest of the student body, Leahy said.

“We work to promote upcoming campus events and to get students that aren’t involved or aren’t sure how to get involved, involved,” Leahy said.

In her time as an Ambassador, Leahy said she's worked on things such as leadership and interview workshops for new organizations, the Sweets in the Suite event and giving the “getting involved” presentation to classes, organizations and Camp War Eagle groups.

Leahy started with AU Involve her freshman year when she was a part of LEAP in the Freshman Leadership Program. Her sophomore year, after doing a lot with her sorority as their webmaster and assistant director of recruitment, Leahy decided she wanted to branch out.

After reading a Student Involvement newsletter she applied to AU Involve and became director of publications. 

“I went from reading the involvement newsletter to writing it,” Leahy said with a laugh.

Becoming an ambassador the very next year, Leahy said her biggest takeaway is how it has helped her try new things and meet new people. 

“I definitely think I’ve become more outgoing because I work with groups of people that I never really interacted with before," Leahy said. "Working with organizations and getting to collaborate with them to promote their events is definitely a high for me."

Leahy graduates in May and said while she's a bit nervous, her time as webmaster and vice president of philanthropy for her sorority has given her real life skills and perspective to make her confident for the future.

“Being the philanthropy chair I really got to see how big an impact helping other people leaves," Leahy said. "I really like serving others now. I want to do something along the lines of digital media in a non-profit organization. We’ll see.”

Leahy’s number one tip for students who are struggling to get more involved while keeping up with school, besides going to AU Involve events, it to get a planner. 

“Get a planner and a couple different colored pens," Leahy said. "Assign things different colors and write everything down. I write things down in my planner, my phone and my laptop. Just keep writing things down so that you remember them, it’s what got me this far."

Share and discuss “Involvement ambassador stays busy so students can stay involved” on social media.