Library houses "Shug's Men" exhibit

The first floor of the Ralph Brown Draughon Library houses an exhibit in honor of the 1957 national championship team coached by Ralph “Shug” Jordan. 

The exhibit is currently open and will be for the remainder of 2017. The exhibit is sponsored by Special Collections & Archives.

2017 marks the sixtieth anniversary of their winning football season and some of the team’s memorabilia will be on display in tribute. 

“Highlights include the signed football, team photograph, player and coach quotes, football programs, notable players who led the team to victory and a special digital treat.” Technical Specialist Jennifer Wiggins said.

Students can use their mobile devices and the QR code to scan for highlights of the Auburn vs. Georgia Tech game and the last reunion the players had. Many of the players shared their memories of the 1957 championship.

Wiggins said due to the lack of media hype in the day, the idea of a championship game was not even mentioned until the season was almost over. This exhibit will show much of the hype the 1957 team earned. 

“All of the players were above par academically and excellent students, some were All-American in addition to their grueling football practices,” Wiggins said. “And [they] still pulled off a championship. The varied successful careers of the players speak well to the Auburn Creed that was instilled in these men to have productive lives beyond Auburn."

Assistant University Archivist Tommy Brown said he hopes students gain a better understanding of the University's history.

“For me, I hope that students and others who have an opportunity to look at the exhibit will get a better sense of Auburn’s history and the great legacy of our football program,” Brown said.

Share and discuss “Library houses "Shug's Men" exhibit” on social media.