Melanie Talbott wins Samford Spring Shootout

The women's golf team poses with the SEC Championship trophy after winning the title at home Sunday. The Tigers finished 11 strokes ahead of second-place Alabama. (Leffie Dailey / Auburn Media Relations)

Auburn's Melanie Talbott earned her first collegiate victory Monday, winning the one-day Samford Spring Shootout at Greystone Golf & Country Club.

Talbott shot a 36-hole total of 74-71=145 (+1) to win by two strokes over Jacksonville State’s Valentina Giraldo and Alabama’s Nicole Morales. The sophomores final-round 71 was a career low round, pushing her to the victory after trailing by a shot through the first 18 holes.

“It was a great feeling to get my first collegiate win today,” Talbott said, “especially at Greystone. After not being able to play during the fall season, I really wanted to get off to a strong start in the spring. This win means a lot to me, and I can’t wait to go back to work so that I can have more experiences like this.”

The Woodstock, Ga. native missed the fall season while recovering from injury and was competing for just the second time this year.

“What a solid performance from Melanie Talbott,” Auburn head coach Melissa Luellen said. “Last summer’s knee surgery kept her out of playing and practicing all fall. She came back in January medically cleared and ready to compete. Her mindset is of complete and total appreciation for the opportunities she has as an Auburn athlete and getting to play a sport she loves.

“Injuries have a way of providing a healthy perspective. It is really enjoyable for coach (Andrew) Pratt and I to watch Melanie and her teammates get better every day.”

Talbott is the Tigers second individual medalist of the season. Freshman Elena Hualde won the season-opening Fall Kickoff in September.

The Tigers are back in action Sunday, Feb. 26, as they host Tennessee in a one-day dual match at the Auburn University Club. Tee times begin at 8 a.m. CST, and the event is open to the public.

Share and discuss “Melanie Talbott wins Samford Spring Shootout” on social media.