Scale Back Alabama to host Annual Walk With a Doc event

Scale Back Alabama and the East Alabama Medical Center will be hosting their annual Walk With a Doc event on Feb. 28 at the East Alabama Medical Center. 

This event is free of charge and will consist of a brief presentation by a doctor followed by a question and answer session. After that, participants will walk in groups on the EAMC’s mile long trail. There will be walks every hour from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“The Walk With a Doc Program began in 2005 and is a national, grassroots effort focused on a simplistic and sustainable approach to effecting behavioral change,” said Alison Hall, a local coordinator for Scale Back Alabama.

Every event consists of a walk that participants can move at their own pace.

“The Walk with a Doc program is a great opportunity for participants to ask the doctor or medical professional a question in a very neutral and casual environment,” Hall said. “It’s similar to walking with a friend and having a casual conversation, and this type of social interaction is not as intimidating as visiting the doctor in a clinic or hospital setting. Plus, you have the added benefit of the walk itself, which is a great way to add exercise and cardio into your daily routine.”

Scale Back Alabama is a free, statewide weight loss campaign designed to encourage people to get healthy in a fun way. Since the program’s start in 2007, they have helped Alabamians to lose over one million pounds.

All walks for Walk With a Doc will begin and end at the EAMC, located at 2000 Pepperell Parkway in Opelika. The walks will start in the main lobby.

Gabby Dance | Assistant Campus Editor

Gabby Dance, senior in journalism with a minor in women's studies, is the assistant campus editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Scale Back Alabama to host Annual Walk With a Doc event” on social media.