Second annual Zumbathon this Saturday

The Auburn Parks and Recreation department will be hosting its second annual Zumbathon this Saturday from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. at the Boykin Community Center.

The Zumbathon is free and available to all age groups. People who plan on attending the event are encouraged to bring tennis shoes, clothing appropriate for fitness and a bottle of water.

Zumba is a type of fitness program that combines elements of hip-hop and Latin American music to create a high-energy aerobic exercise.

The event will feature 11 different Zumba instructors from the Auburn-Opelika area, many of whom teach Zumba at local fitness centers such as the HealthPlus Fitness center, the Opelika Sportsplex and Gold’s Gym.

In order to accommodate more participants, this year’s Zumbathon will be held in the Boykin Center’s gymnasium instead of the auditorium, where it took place last year.

The Zumbathon is associated with Scale Back Alabama, a free statewide campaign that is aimed at encouraging the people of Alabama to lose 10 pounds in eight weeks by providing information about local exercise events, dietary and lifestyle advice and inspirational stories from Alabamians it has helped.

According to Scale Back Alabama, Alabamians have lost 1.3 million pounds since 2007, with Lee County having lost a collective 4,007 of those pounds last year.

Other local programs that Scale Back Alabama is associated with include Walk with a Doc, Fit as a Fiddle and Hands on Nutrition.

For more information about the Zumbathon, Scale Back Alabama or other events associated with healthy living, visit the Scale Back Alabama – Lee County Facebook page or call (334)-501-2930.

Share and discuss “Second annual Zumbathon this Saturday” on social media.