Sigma Kappa to host philanthropy event for Alzheimers

\0x200B\0x200B\0x200BTaylor Walker, Jackie Gutman, Layla Norbash, Annie Walker, Neely Duffey, Bailey Hughes and Sarah Jo Crotts of the Sigma Kappa sorority (Photo contributed by McCauley Alexiou)

Sigma Kappa's annual fundraising event Sigma Hold'em is a two-day event benefiting the Sigma Kappa Foundation and Alzheimer's Research Fund. 

Monique Willmer, Public Relations Chairman for Sigma Kappa, said This year's fundraising event will take place at SkyBar on Feb. 20 and 21. 

"At the tournament, players will play traditional Texas Hold’Em," Willmer said. "There will be a women’s-only tournament starting at 6 p.m. on Feb. 20 and two general tournament rounds starting that night at 6 p.m. and again at 9 p.m."

The next evening will have rounds for the previous winners, Willmer said. 

"Another round will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 21 starting at 6 p.m. with the winner’s round starting at 9:00 p.m.,
" Willmer said. "Winners can receive prizes such as a yeti cooler, an iPad, an Apple Watch, gift cards, gift baskets and more."

Ahnalies Vannette, Sigma Kappa president, said the event hits close to home for her.

“We are raising money for Alzheimer’s research, a disease I lost my grandpa to a few months ago," Vannette said. "Last year, when he saw that 250 girls were raising money and putting on event to raise money for this, he was so incredibly humbled and appreciative. Alzheimer’s affects so many of our girls in one-way or another and I am so proud to be a part of this organization and this event.”

Bailey Klipsch, Sigma Kappa vice president of philanthropic services, said she enjoyed working on the event last year and hopes to make this year's event just as successful.

“Raising money and awareness for Alzheimer’s Research means so much to me," Klipsch said. "My great-grandmother had the disease and I know how hard it can be. Sigma Hold’em is such a fun way to support a great cause. We’re so thankful for everyone who participates and plays a role in making this such an effective event.”

Willmer said students and people from the Auburn community are all welcome so long as they're 19 or older. 

"We would love for anyone to come out and support us," Willmer said. "Last year, we raised over $23,000 and are working extremely hard to raise even more this year. Sigma Hold’Em is a great way to bring the Auburn community and the Auburn University student body together and we are so excited about this year’s event."

Registration is $15 for the ladies tournament only, $20 for the general tournament and $25 for the general tournament on both days, according to Willmer. An event t-shirt is included upon registration. 

Share and discuss “Sigma Kappa to host philanthropy event for Alzheimers” on social media.