Tigers, Carlson defeat nationally ranked James Madison

A stellar pitching performance from Kaylee Carlson pushed No. 2 Auburn past the visiting No.13 James Madison Dukes, 4-0 on Saturday night at Jane B. Moore Field.

In the fourth inning, the Tigers busted the game open. Haley Fagan drove a leadoff single into left field, and then Courtney Shea stepped up to the plate. For the second game in a row, Shea hit a two run bomb over the wall in right center. Senior standout Kasey Cooper lined a ball to the right field wall and provided two more runs in the fifth inning.

"I was a little frustrated," Shea said. "It reminded me of my last at-bat in the World Series — and I wanted this one to end with a different outcome. I just wanted to hit the ball fair and get running."

Four runs were all Carlson needed.

The undefeated right-hander struck out eight batters on the night and improved to 8-0 on the season.

"The pitching has been the strength of us the whole season," coach Clint Myers said. "They make pitches when they have to. They get outs when they have to."

The victory over the nationally ranked Dukes came right after a blowout victory over Yale.

In game one, the Tigers continued their offensive dominance, and another 6-run third inning fueled a complete performance for Auburn. The Tigers came out on top with the final score being 9-0, totaling 11 hits and two homeruns.

Makayla Martin was brilliant in the circle, striking out three and giving up zero hits or walks. Ashlee Swindle came on in relief in the top of the fourth, and sealed the victory for the Tigers.

Fagan led the way offensively for the Tigers in game one with 2 RBIs, a HR and a double, while Shea added 3 RBIs of her own.

James Madison did not start Megan Good, who is the Dukes ace pitcher. Good was in the circle for James Madison in their first game of the day vs. North Dakota, and did not see action in game two vs. Auburn. Good is expected to be in the circle tomorrow for the Dukes.

The Tiger Invitational continues on Sunday, and Auburn returns to action at 1 p.m. CST against James Madison, at Jane B. Moore Field. 

Share and discuss “Tigers, Carlson defeat nationally ranked James Madison” on social media.