Auburn ousts Lady Flames with 15 runs in two innings

The No. 2 Auburn softball team (14-2) had nine hits and 15 runs through two innings to drop Liberty (9-6) 15-0 in the first win of the Wilson/DeMarini Classic. Carlee Wallace had a career-high five RBI in the victory as Kaylee Carlson (9-0) grabbed the win.

“Hitting is contagious,” Wallace said. "If I can go up there and give them a good at-bat, then we’ll follow suit.”

Wallace started the seven-run first inning with her second leadoff home run of the season. Haley Fagan came up two at-bats later for a two-run home run to make the lead 3-0. Four straight walks brought the score to 4-0 before Liberty registered its first out against Auburn. An errant throw to first after striking out pinch hitter Justus Perry drove in a run from Courtney Shea to make the lead 5-0.

Following a wild pitch with Wallace’s return at the plate in the first that pushed the lead to 6-0, Wallace hit a RBI double that continued to press the lead ahead to 7-0. Liberty walked five batters and gave up four hits in the inning.

The second inning was much of the same as Kendall Veach hit a leadoff home run to keep her hot streak alive. Victoria Draper batted for the first time following two walks and a hit-by-pitch for a RBI single to make the lead 9-0. Wallace returned to the plate, achieving her career-high fifth RBI, driving in a three-run double to make the lead 12-0.

Kasey Cooper followed up Wallace’s at-bat with a two-run home run, continuing the lead to 14-0.

“We were pretty aggressive for the night,” Myers says of his teams intensity on offense, “that’s the thing we’ve got to have.”

Auburn accomplished its 15th run via fielder’s choice, Fagan reaching home after hitting a single and Veach being walked. Alyssa Rivera replaced Madi Gipson at right field to give Auburn its 10th and final hit with a double in the bottom of the fourth.

Liberty only had six batters have an at-bat prior to Auburn’s 15-0 run, finally reaching base with Jasmeen Click’s single in top of the third. The Lady Flames reached base three times on three hits.

“We put on a show for the fans,” Wallace said. “We realize why we play is for games like this.”

With SEC play beginning next week, Wallace enforced the idea of continuing the hot streak through the weekend.

“We wanted to make a statement this weekend going into LSU. We want to put the fear of God in teams before we play them.”

The Tigers will return to Jane B. Moore Field for their second meeting with Liberty Friday, Mar. 3. The game will be aired on the SEC Network at 6 p.m. CT.

Share and discuss “Auburn ousts Lady Flames with 15 runs in two innings” on social media.